Toggle navigation. History Social Sciences. Kloppenberg Ships with Tracking Number! Buy with confidence, excellent customer service!
Oxford University Press. May not contain Access Codes or Supplements. May be ex-library.
See a Problem?
Oxford, Blue cloth hardback, no DJ, VG, index, bibliography, chapter notes, "Between and , two generations of European and American intellectuals created a transatlantic community of philosophical and political discourse. First Printing. Hard Cover. Used book in good condition.
Uncertain Victory by Kloppenberg, James T
Has wear to the cover and pages. Contains some markings such as highlighting and writing.
- Progressivism - Wikipedia.
- Social Media and School Discipline.
- Uncertain Victory : James T. Kloppenberg : .
- Statistical Detection and Surveillance of Geographic Clusters (Chapman & Hall/CRC Interdisciplinary Statistics).
- La commune demain: Un enjeu pour nous tous (French Edition).
- TMI (Chuck Taylor Novel Book 1)!
- Livin La Vida Loca.
By James T. New York, Oxford University Press, pp. Historians and political theorists share a relationship not unlike that of the taciturn neighbors of rural New England folklore. Their ingrown lives go on better that way.
Follow the Author
Since the publication of Uncertain Victory: Social Democracy and Progressivism in European and American Thought, — New York, , Kloppenberg has turned his primary attention to mediating between these two flinty neighbors. That book offered a magisterial survey of the reformulation of philosophy and politics on pragmatic lines in turn-of-the-century Europe and the United States.
In this collection of essays, all but one previously published, American political ideas, by contrast, occupy the foreground. Other essays address the centrality of religious ideas in American political culture.
- SearchWorks Catalog?
- The No Resume Approach--How to Land A Job In A Tough Economy Without Ever Sending A Resume!.
- The Devil That You Dare!
- Project MUSE - The Virtues of Liberalism (review)!
- A Brief Guide to Stephen King (Brief Histories)!
- Uncertain victory: social democracy and progressivism in European and American thought, .
- Customers who bought this item also bought;
Kloppenberg brings formidable resources of mind and learning to bear against those who would shrink liberalism to mere procedural neutrality, or those who would condemn it to a narrow defense of individual rights and property—a set of private stories mute in considerations of the public good. Pragmatic liberalism, Kloppenberg insists throughout, rests on its own foundation of virtue.
But his vision of the possibilities of a historically grounded liberalism is broad, timely, and humane. Neighbors on both sides of the history and political theory divide will take profit from these learned and carefully drawn explorations across their common terrain. Project MUSE promotes the creation and dissemination of essential humanities and social science resources through collaboration with libraries, publishers, and scholars worldwide.
Forged from a partnership between a university press and a library, Project MUSE is a trusted part of the academic and scholarly community it serves. Built on the Johns Hopkins University Campus.